Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Whosoever Holds This Hammer...!

...if he be worthy, shall possess the power of...THOR!!!!

It's coming, Kiddoes. The major motion picture adaptation of Marvel Comics resident bad-ass with a God complex, "Thor".

Thor made his debut in ancient Norse mythology. Vikings of old held him as the God of Thunder and son of the ruler of all the Gods in Asgard, Odin. Armed with his mighty battle hammer Mjolnir, Thor kicked major ass.

Fast forward to mid-1962 and the dawning of the "Marvel Age of Comics", Stan Lee had already cranked up the amphage of Timely/Atlas' dwindling comics line alongside Jack Kirby with "The Fantastic Four" and "The Hulk" and Steve Ditko with "Spider-Man" and it was time to give it another shot in the arm. Coming to the conclusion that, to be tougher than anyone else, a hero couldn't be a man, but rather a God, he turned to the ancient mythologies he had learned in school. With Greco-Roman mytology all but "F"ed out, he went for the Norse.

I can't comment on the movie yet, It doesn't hit the screens till Friday, but here's a little flashback for ya. "Journey Into Mystery" #83 dated August 1962 and the first appearance of the toughest guy ever nick-named "goldilocks" ya ever did see. Plotted by Stan Lee, scripted by his kid brother Larry Lieber and drawn by the "King of the Comics" hisself, Jack Kirby!

Enjoy!
















I'm looking forward to attending the matinee on Saturday at the largest screen west of The Mississippi while a bunch of us help Naomi celebrate her birthday. I promise to try and restrain myself from pulling the old "popcorn box in my lap" trick on my sweet little Nay Nay...but I'm a weak man and may succumb.

Talk to you soon.

3 comments:

Runs.with.Ferals said...

I'd be searching the aisles of Ace Hardware right now if it was "Whosoever Holds This Hammer Shall Draw Like Jack 'King' Kirby" !

Unca Jeffy said...

You and I would be fighting over that hammer bin like 2 wmen fighting over a bra sale, my friend!

Runs.with.Ferals said...

Hey ! I already fight over bra sales ! I try to buy them all to force women to go without ! (grew up 'reading' National geographic, don't you know...)

Search This Blog