Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Joe Simon In Alive and Well - And I Need A Fact Checker!

Joe Simon, legendary comic book scribe and artist, was born on October 11, 1913. Alongside his longtime partner Jack Kirby, Simon created such legendary characters as Captain America, The Guardian, The Fighting American, The Shield, The Young Allies, The Newsboy Legion and The Boy Commandos, updated the likes of The Sandman and The Manhunter, worked in other genres including crime, horror and humor and even invented the very notion of romance comics. They were the first creative team in comic books to be credited on the front cover AND they had an amazing run, putting out some of the most dynamic and creative comics done for two decades!


AND he's alive and well!


I made a remark in yesterdays blog that Joe Simon and Jack Kirby had traipsed off this mortal coil. NOT so, and I apologize for misleading anyone.


To find more in-depth coverage of Joe Simon's career, check here.


To visit the official website for Joe covering what projects are happening and to purchase a couple of books about his career, click here.


I will spend the day NOT dwelling on the smarminess of Stan Lee...but rather rejoicing and revelling in the great work of Joe Simon.


Join me, won't you?


From Captain America #1 in 1940...










"The Newsboy Legion" featuring "The Guardian" from Star-Spangled Comics #10...















From Detective Comics #64, "The Boy Commandoes"...













And with the popularity of "The Boy Commandos" appearing in both Detective Comics AND World's Finest Comics, they spun off into their very own title. From Boy Commandos #1 here's a cool story that even features cameos by "The Newsboy Legion" and "Sandman"...













Loads of reading enjoyment for you. Have fun seeking out and finding more work from the great team of Simon and Kirby!

Happy early birthday in October Joe...here's to 97 more years!!!!
Talk to you soon!

3 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

When your fact checker is finished, I need him over here in my neck of the Blogosphere swamp. I mentioned actor Don Galloway was 73 yesterday when, in fact, he left this world for a better one in 2009.

Runs.with.Ferals said...

Joe Simon's book (co-written with his Son) THE COMIC BOOK MAKERS is an absolute must-have for anyone interested in time-traveling back to the beginning of the Golden Age and riding that wave through the Atomic Age. Rife with amazing 1st-hand accounts and cool little back-stories about some of our favorite artists & comic characters !

Unca Jeffy said...

Ivan: I'll send her your way (if I'm going to have someone in my employ, it just as well be someone I'd want to chase around my desk) when I'm through with her.

Lys: I took note of that book as I was checking out Joe's whereabouts last night. Nice to hear it recommended. It's available through Joe's web site linked above!

Search This Blog