Saturday, July 31, 2010

Drink Hole Saturday Night Concerts - John Prine Live pt. 2

Welcome back to "Ye Olde Drink Hole Amphiteatre"!

We continue our live Americana music primer with part 2 of John Prine's classic 1988 live album titles simply "Live". Like I said last night, I have plenty of rarely heard unreleased gems to present here, this album though is part of what introduced me to a world of extraordinary song-writing and unparalleled story-telling that so many of my heroes have huned to a fine point.

Don't forget to tip you're waitress.

"Mexican Home" one of my all time favorite and seldom-mentioned Prine songs. He says in the liner notes that the inspiration for this song was a house he had with a big porch on it and he realized how important this porch was. It's where you greeted people you like, say goodbye to people and where you spend quality time by yourself with those people. I say it's also where you spend time alone thinking of those people you love. You've heard me do this one too. You ought to hear me sometime when you're drunk...I've made bikers cry...




"The Speed of the Sound of Lonliness" - who keeps time when your lonesome?...




"The Accident (Things Could Be Worse)" - yes things could. This is me from my trip down Route 66 on a detour to John Prine's hometown of Maywood, Illinois to the corner he made famous in this song...


I wish I'da been there when the wreck happened...




"Sam Stone" ahhhh the real tragic story. This may be the first song I ever heard by Prine. I didn't know who he was and heard it on some TV show. I didn't even know the whole song, but I walked around singing about "the hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes" for months...




"Souvenirs" - joined here by his old friend Steve Goodman. "Broken hearts and dirty windows, make life difficult to see". They sure do John...




"Aw Heck" some early work by this minor poet...




"Donald & Lydia" a real-world love story...




"That's the Way That the World Goes 'Round" and a great story in the middle about folks misinterpreting lyrics. When you see John in concert, it's a pre-requisite to sing the words the way this lady heard 'em first...




"Hello in There" is a song that Prine should NOT have been smart enough to be able to write at the turn of his 20's. But he did. And that's why I love his stuff sooooo much...




I hope you heard some old favorites, but mostly I hope it was all new to you and you are now a Prime Prine Devotee.

Remember as I said yesterday, I just hope to give folks a listen here, the songs are not available for download. John Prine is a working artist and deserves you monetary vote. Visit his website to glom on to all things Prine, you'll be glad you did!

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Search This Blog