Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"Meet Captain America" - issue 1 - 1940


No, no...I'm not dead or in jail...just taking a brief respite from every day blogging...but I'm back!

Before I get back into my "A 'Slight' History of Golden Age Comic Book Super Heroes" though, I thought I'd add to the buildup to the "Captain America" movie being released this Friday. I have high hopes for this one. They did a great job with "Thor" and "Green Lantern" was kind of hit or miss, but I hope they do this golden age great right.

Unlike the bulk of Golden Age comics, Captain America didn't debut in an anthology book, but rather came full-born from the head of Zeus in his own book. From the genius of Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, "Captain America" #1 hit the stands in late 1940 at Timely Comics...and the old boy's still doing well.

Here's the story that started it all.

Enjoy!
















See ya tomorrow with more "Cap" from his debut issue!

2 comments:

Runs.with.Ferals said...

These Simon & Kirby fellers might be on ta sump'n !

Unca Jeffy said...

Yes, Lys...I think they may be worth watching, I think they have a future in the comics biz!

Search This Blog