Tuesday, July 26, 2011

All American Comics - "The Red Tornado"!

I've been trying to get back to my drawing board, but I just can't get up the gumption of late. I don't want that to hold up my "A 'Slight' History of Golden Age Comic Book Super Heroes" attempt here, and what's more...I feel guilty when my blog goes dark for a day.

So forging ahead and trying to get the creative juices flowing, let's continue with the heroes in "All American Comics" and see what sparks in the old man's mind.

I've always had an affinity for the oddball characters. Not the ones blazing across the covers of books, but of the hard working stiffs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the back pages. As a kid in the 1970's reading "The Justice League of America", whenever they would have crossovers with The Justice Society of America here would be references to forgotten heroes that I longed to see in action. Colorfully costumed and colorfully storied in their legends, some were only hinted at in "pinups" or in one panel flashbacks.

One of these was a character who popped up as a side character in a humor strip by Sheldon Mayer called "Scribbly", and with the popularity of super heroes in general, shortly took over the strip himself...er...HERself...

Ma Hunkel..."The Red Tornado"!








With the digital age of information upon us, I finally (after 40-some years) got to read a small batch of this feature.

I was NOT disapointed. I think I'll post them all here over the next few days.

I hope you dig Shelly's work as much as I do.









Talk to you soon...hopefully with my pen in hand, but 'til then these feel pretty good.

No comments:

Search This Blog