Saturday, March 19, 2011

Captain Maddox - "The Best of the West" - by Marx

Time for another Saturday afternoon dive into Unca Jeffy's Toy Box and part 2 of "Best of the West" collection - by Marx!

This is "Captain Maddox" of the U.S. Calvary. He didn't have a first name, but to me it should be something like "Captain John Maddox" or "Captain Steve Maddox" or "Captain Chet Maddox" or something manly-man like that.


I'm happy to report, that unlike handless and legless Johnny West, Captain Maddox remains unscather in the toy box...with nearly ALL his accessories....bugle, binoculars, binocular case, map case...


...Rifle, sword, pistol, gunbelt...


...3, count 'em, 3 hats (scout's hat, officer's dress hat and garrison cap - presumably so you could spend hours playing you fantasy of Rod Maddox's rise through the ranks), gauntlets and kerchief...


...canteen, strap for something or other and something that's worn like a sash but looks more like a horse blanket.


I know that these are (nearly) all his accessories, because the anal retentitiveness in me had me keep the 11 x 17 equipment maual that came with the toy for the last 30 years as well...



I think part of the reason Captain Reed Maddox stayed so well preserved is because (and here's where you get even MORE insight into my pitiful adolescent years) I got Johnny West about 1968 or so when I was only 5 or 6. The purchase of Captain Maddox could very well have been in the late 70's. When I was well into my teens. When other guys were discovering sports and dumb 'ol girls.

I was at the toy store.

That's OK. Captain Alex Maddox never judged me.


Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

KW said...

He looks mint! Someone on ebay says his name is "Tom" if you can trust that.

Unca Jeffy said...

Their guess is probably better than mine. Tom fits.

Search This Blog