Friday, June 25, 2010

Nemo #6: Floyd Gottfredson's "Mickey Mouse" and V.T. Hamlin's "Alley Oop" revisited

April 1984's "Nemo: the Classic Comics Library" issue #6 felt like they had renewed vigor for covering the diversity of the great American art-form. Covering everything from the iconic to the fantastic to the "hidden-in-the-archives", and hitting their stride with features like the continues autobiography of Allen Saunders to their "Fantasy in the Comics" to the "Penmen of the Past".

I've just recently posted 2 of the articles from this issue (it's kinda what got me started archiving ALL the issues) so today, in the interest of some semblance of order and to ensure no one missed these, we have a little re-dux, then I'll bring you the rest of this chock-full-of-goodness issue tomorrow!

Here's your little guide to all that goodness coming in the next couple of days!

And look, here's Richard Marschall's editorial speaking of the fleeting nature of paper and the treasures lost. Almost like he was commanding me from 26 years ago to digitize and preserve.
A clever man, there!

The first article up was on Mickey Mouse's comic strip godfather, Floyd Gottfredson who was finally getting some recognition for his decades of ghosting the VASTLY underrated strip. It was previously posted here on May 5 on what would have been Gottfredson's 105th birthday. In case you missed it, follow this handy link.

Later in the magazine, and also previously posted in this blog, was a short article and nice retrospective look at the work of V.T. Hamlin on his landmark strip "Alley Oop". This was posted on May 10th on what would have been Hamlin's 110th birthday. A handy dandy link here to that post. Alley Oop is a strip so many folks have heard of or know of, and here's a nice chance to wet your beak on the actual thing...read away, you'll fall in love. I promise you.

I'll be posting the rest of the issue over the weekend and the next few issues over the next week.

After about the 4th of July I am going to try to keep the "Nemo" posts to a once a week thingy so I can get back to some other things I like to talk about. It's been very cool sharing these with you folks and will continue till I have them all done and it's afforded me a chance to kind of take the month of June off while I attend to BS from the real world.

Let me know, if when I switch to a once a week schedule for "Nemo" if you would like me to post an entire issue all in one day, or if that would be too cumbersome for y'all to enjoy and you'd prefer an issue be spread over two weeks. I'm game for anything!

Talk to ya later!

2 comments:

Thomas Haller Buchanan said...

Hey Jeff--If no one else is speaking up, I will. I sure understand how you want to get on to other things. I'm really enjoying the Nemo posts and my choice would be to see a whole issue at once, but that might be overwhelming for you? Anyway, whatever you do, I'll be here. Thanks!

Unca Jeffy said...

Thanks for the feedback Thomas. I am working the scanner hard today to prepare for doing whole issues in a single post-my thought is on Sundays.

I'm going to keep the piecemeal style through next the next week though to allow me to stay on top.

Glad you're enjoying them, I'm enjoying re-visiting them for sure!

Search This Blog