Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pulitzer Prizes and Cartooning Constests - Nemo #26 - part 1

I'm fast approaching the end of the run of "Nemo: the Classic Comics Library" and in the interest of cleaning the slate in this new year, I continue to barrel right through this treasure trove in a marathon of posts.


Ah, the excitement of seeing a new issue in the mailbox or on the newstand (at least in my local comic bok store), scanning the cover and flipping it open to the table of contents to see what fresh wonders await my hungry eyes...


In this issue, editor Richard Marschall gives a good solid arguement for a Pulitzer Prize to be awarded for comic strips. I agree that the quality work of the comic strip artists should be praised and praised highly, but part of me thinks that sometimes things are tainted a little when they become "legitamite" through such things. Also 25 years (a quarter of a century mind you) in retrospect shows us such a plethora of awards being given to anyone who shows up, in every field from music and movies to the kids on the soccer field getting "participation" ribbons, that awards just don't mean much anyway.



Pre-WWII comics had a different kind of reward system though. These early cartoon contests broke a lot of soon to be famous artists into the field...


Published 2-up in Nemo, the images are a little small. I generally resize these scans to better accomodate viewing in your web browser. Not wanting you to miss the wonderful line work in some of these samples though, I left them at full size, so you may want to download these and view them in your viewing software.





Tomorrow I'll jump back to my regularly scheduled "OTR Friday" and more "Vic & Sade", but check back here soon for the rest of Nemo #26 and "T.S. Sullivant's Unforgettable Comic Zoo".

Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Search This Blog