Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Adventure Comics - Final!

More of "A 'Slight' History of Golden Age Comic Book Super Heroes" and the end of my Adventure Comics look.

It wasn't really the end of Adventure Comics in the golden age. By 1945 or so, paper shortages and changes in comic reader's tastes away from super heroes caused a change at National (DC) Periodicals. Over at "More Fun Comics" the format was changing to a humor format, so the heroes that now inhabited those pages made a mass exodus over to Adventure and teh Adventure Heroes were laid to rest (or at least in Sandman and Starman's cases to their adventures with the Justice Society of America over in All Star Comics.


I'll reserve my look at these later additions to Adventure Comics, when I get to More Fun Comics since that's where they originated...I have to have SOME semblance of order, no matter how loose.

So for now, here are the heroes that made Adventure Comics great.


That's a mess of star power. Those old anthology books with this many heroes (and more fun features) cramming 64 pages of 4 color goodness each and every month for one thin dime must have been pretty awesome!

Meanwhile, back at "Ye Olde Drink Hole"...


Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

Runs.with.Ferals said...

Rusty: "Is that a Dog-bone in yer pocket- or ya jus' happy ta see me ?"

Underdog: "Rough. Rough... you look rough."

Sidebar is now my favorite reason to visit. Has there ever been a comic strip about support groups ? You have struck gold with this concept. Hope you mine the daylights out of it !

Unca Jeffy said...

I don't think there ever has...hurmmm. I don't know about the support group being mined o death, but as I think ahead for other super heroes to spotlight (and realizing I don't really have anything funny to say) each one brings a spinoff idea for a Sidebar parrallel concept. I believe you will be seeing it mined to death, fer sure.

Search This Blog