Thursday, April 12, 2012

"The Art of Drawing Heads and Hands" 2 of 2!

More art instruction from The Grumbacker Library's "The Art of Drawing Heads and Hands".

In the past few weeks I've posted scans of different art instruction books from the stacks of books I've carried around for decades.  I don't believe I ever sat and practiced what's in them or tried to learn their techniques...instead I studied the work of artists and cartoonists I admired from comic books, comic strips and animated cartoons when practicing my drawing...but these books made me conscious of the fact that there were people who worked at this.  That this was a skill worth emulating and perfecting.  

The fact that relatives and family friends who didn't have the first inkling of knowing how to draw, gave me some of these books as gifts because they saw something in me, that while they may not have understood the need to do this, saw that it was a worthwhile thing.  And they wanted to help me.  Gruff old men who worked with their hands and died from overwork and maternal women who cooked utilitarian meals and darned socks and vacuumed and re-vacuumed and re-vacuumed and RE-vacuumed the same 20 square feet of rug for years because, well because it was what they did, bought these for me because they admired it too.

I think I saw that thing in the pages of these books, as much as I ever saw a technical instruction manual.  

And that's what they taught me.









Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Search This Blog